One tequila, two tequila, three tequila…. seven! This year marks Oyamel Cocina Mexicana’s Seventh Annual Tequila & Mezcal Festival.
Brought to you by James Beard Award-winning Chef José Andrés and partner, Rob Wilder, from March 10th to March 23rd, Oyamel celebrates the heritage of these unique Mexican spirits — and our unfailing love for “finding the worm” — by featuring special dishes created by Head Chef Colin King to highlight the flavors of Oaxaca and Jalisco, Mexico. Of course, the festival also includes new tequila and mezcal cocktails, a kickoff party, complimentary tastings, and a dinner pairing series. Holy awesome agave!
Should you snag a spot at the kickoff (March 10th, 6-9PM, $60), you’ll get your Mexican street food fix while sipping the signature Oyamel Margarita and tasting Del Maguey Mezcal with founder Ron Cooper and Siembra Azul Tequila with founder David Suro.
Complimentary “spirited” tastings continue March 11th-13th and March 17th-20th (4-6 PM) along with an intimate dinner series, 8:30 PM, $90 per person (schedule and featured guests below):
- Tuesday, March 11th: Ron Cooper, Del Maguey Mezcal and David Suro, Siembra Azul Tequila, host a tasting and dinner focusing on Tequileros and Mezcaleros: their tradition, history, current struggles and future possibilities
- Wednesday, March 12th: David Ravandi, Tequila 123 tasting with dinner to follow
- Thursday, March 13th: Lauren Richmond, Herradura Tequila tasting
- Monday, March 17th: Raza Zaidi, Wahaka Mezcal tasting
- Tuesday, March 18th: William Erickson, Fortaleza Tequila tasting
- Wednesday, March 19th: Fausto Zapata, founder of El Silencio Mezcal, tasting
- Thursday, March 20th: Arik Torren, Fidencio Mezcal tasting with dinner featuring La Venenosa Raicila
Part of Chef José Andrés’ ThinkFoodGroup, Oyamel is located at 401 7th Street, NW, 20001 in Washington, DC.