On September 1st, the award-winning Hay-Adams, located steps from the White House at 800 16th Street, NW, 20006, will host its next Author Series luncheon honoring David McCullough to discuss his latest work, The American Spirit, Who We Are and What We Stand For. The Hay-Adams’ Author Series, where literary crowds honor literary masters, is an on-going event, which welcomes outstanding writers in a historic setting, directly overlooking the White House at the Top of the Hay. One will enjoy exceptional food, drink and lively conversation. Tickets are priced at $90 per person (all inclusive), which includes a three-course, prix fixe menu with wine pairings. The menu, themed around the book, will be created by Vice President & General Manager Hans Bruland and Executive Chef Nicolas Legret.
Additionally, Kramerbooks (http://kramers.com) will be on hand so guests will have the opportunity to purchase a copy of The American Spirit, Who We Are and What We Stand For, which McCullough can sign and personalize after the luncheon. Tickets go on saleAugust 11, 2017 and will be available online at http://hayadams.com/author-
WHO: David McCullough has been acclaimed as a “master of the art of narrative history.” He is a winner of two Pulitzer Prizes, two National Book Awards, and has received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award. Over the course of his distinguished career, he has spoken before Congress, The White House, colleges and universities, historical societies and other esteemed institutions.
In his latest book, The American Spirit, Who We Are and What We Stand For, McCullough has collected some of his most notable speeches in a brief volume designed to identify important principles and characteristics that are particularly American. It is a timely tome, reminding us of core American values to which we all subscribe, regardless of which region we live in, which political party we identify with, or our ethnic background. This is a book about America for all Americans, that reminds us who we are and helps guide us as we find our way forward.
Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, McCullough was educated there and at Yale, where he received a degree in English literature. He and his wife, Rosalee Barnes McCullough, reside in Boston, Massachusetts.
WHEN: The luncheon will be held on Top of The Hay on Friday, September 1st, 2017, from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. (doors open at 11:30 a.m.).
WHERE: The Hay-Adams is located at 800 16th Street, NW, Washington DC, 20006, across Lafayette Square from the White House. The historic Hay-Adams offers guests Washington’s most prestigious address with views overlooking the White House, Lafayette Square and St. John’s Church, the “Church of the Presidents.” The hotel is just minutes from the Smithsonian, the Museums, the Washington Monument, the National Mall, as well as convenient to Metro stations and the convention center. For reservations or more information call (202) 638-6600 or visit their website at www.hayadams.com.
Walking With Anthony, a Spinal Cord Injury foundation, teamed up with Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation and Alumni Association to host The 5th Annual Charity Celebrity Golf Tournament & Dinner at Country Club of Fairfax
- The event will honor Doug Williams, NFL legend and trailblazer for his great strides in the Spinal Cord Injury community. Williams is known for being the first African American starting quarterback to win a Super Bowl and for his remarkable performance in Super Bowl XXII. Williams became the 1st player in Super Bowl history to pass for 4 touchdowns in a single quarter, and 4 in a half.
- This year’s lead Spinal Cord Injury beneficiary is Georgetown University’s Ty Williams, a Georgetown Senior football player who was tragically hurt with a Spinal Cord Injury during a September football game for the college. Although he cannot play, Ty motivates The Hoyas every day and shows perseverance in face of adversity.
- Former Washington Redskin and local ESPN radio personality Rick “Doc” Walker will serve as the Master of Ceremonies.
- The event will feature a day of golf with Washington Redskins players, alumni, legendary sports celebrities and VIP guests raising awareness during National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month (September). Golfers will be treated to The Liberty Mutual Invitational Gift Suite. The Gift Suite will feature a variety of items including golf gear, shoes and custom-rolled cigars.
- 100% of donations to Walking with Anthony will benefit those who so desperately need support on their road to recovery and independence. Walking With Anthony was inspired by Anthony Purcell, a young man who became disabled during a tragic accident in 2010, but can now stand and take steps in braces after years of hard work and physical therapy training. Walking with Anthony is dedicated to raising awareness of the impact of spinal cord injuries (SCI), raising funds to provide financial assistance for SCI victims, expanding rehabilitation centers, and supporting research relating to SCI rehabilitation. The Walking With Anthony mission is to forever change the recovery outcome of SCI, currently perceived as unchangeable.
WHEN: Monday, September 25th
9:30 a.m. Registration, continental breakfast and gift bags
10:00 a.m. Driving range opens
11:30 a.m. Shotgun golf tournament starts (Scramble format)
12:30 p.m. BBQ lunch and snacks on golf course
4:30 p.m. Cocktail hour with entertainment and silent auction
5:30 p.m. Dinner Reception (includes live entertainment, silent/live auctions, celebrity
introductions, raffles, awards and prizes)
WHERE: The Country Club of Fairfax
5110 Ox Road, Fairfax, VA 22030
DETAILS: Registration for individual golfers is $500. Foursomes are $1800 and Foursomes with Redskins Alumni are $2500. Tickets to the Dinner Reception Only are $150. To register for the golf tournament or to purchase tickets to the Dinner Reception, please visit http://www.mariochalmersfoundation.comwww.walkingwithanthony.org.
All golfers will participate in the Getaway2Give (G2G) Hole-in-One Competition. The winner of the competition will receive one trip of their choice to Punta Mita, Mexico, Costa Rica or Chelsea, London.