Earlier this month, the inaugural Local First Awards were held at Blind Whino SW Arts Club. This uniquely DC celebration brought the city together in support of local businesses and artists. The Awards, a Think Local First DC (TLF) initiative, spotlighted the most impactful local independent businesses, entrepreneurs, and artists in DC.
The evening began with the presentation of awards in the categories of: Maker, Ripple Effect, High Road, Green Thumb, Builder, Pioneer and Community Champion. The winners were selected by a panel of distinguished leaders in the DC business community.
Out of a pool of 35 finalists, the winners are as follows:
- Maker- Bailiwick Clothing
- Ripple Effect- Paul Ruppert Restaurants and Upshur Street Books
- High Road- The Potter’s House
- Green Thumb- Misfit Juicery
- Builder- City First Bank
- Pioneer- Tightshift Laboring Cooperative
- Community Champion- Lee’s Flower and Card Shop
All of the local enterprises involved, finalists, and winners deserve kudos for all they do for the DC community – to celebrate all of them, the event concluded with an all out dance party lasting well into the evening!
*Images provided courtesy