While Screen on the Green fans received some sad news this year, some of the District’s other outdoor cinema series are celebrating triumphant returns.
Georgetown’s Sunset Cinema, for example, begins its second season on Tuesday, July 5. This year, the five-week series will honor the National Park Service’s 100th anniversary by featuring iconic movies filmed in and around national parks and monuments across the country, making a stop in each decade from the 1960s to the 2000s. Check it out at the The Georgetown Waterfront Park (Intersection of K/Water Street NW) at sunset (7:30 PM).
- Tuesday, July 5: Planet of the Apes
- Tuesday, July 12: Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Tuesday, July 19: E.T. the Extraterrestrial
- Tuesday, July 26: Thelma & Louise
- Tuesday, August 5: Into The Wild
- Thursday, June 9: Zootopia
- Thursday, June 23: The Goonies
- Thursday, July 7: Grease
- Thursday, July 21: Pitch Perfect 2