How hard is it for women food entrepreneurs to start and run some of DC’s top bakeries, breweries and food companies? Find out on January 11, at Hook Hall, when eight of the region’s most talented female food creators dish it out at an epic night of storytelling called “Bite Your Tongue.” The event, priced at $20, will be from 7 until 9:30 p.m.
Bite Your Tongue will feature untold stories from the women who fuel DC–stories that are heartbreaking, hilarious and have the added benefit of being 100% true.
“Live storytelling is the best forum to express the insane ups and downs of creating a successful food business…” said Sara Polon, CEO of Soupergirl and a co-founder of Bite Your Tongue. “That’s why we created the Bite Your Tongue series, to use live narrative to let these bad-ass local business women share their successes and failures with a live audience.”
“Bite Your Tongue: The Unhospitable Edition” is the first in the BYT speaker series. The inaugural January 11 event will include a live musical performance from One Lane Bridge. Proceeds from the event will go to N Street Village, a community empowering homeless and low-income women in D.C. to claim their highest quality of life.
The eight entrepreneurs sharing their stories are:
- Violeta Edelman, co-founder & co-CEO, Dolcezza Gelato & Coffee, a gelateria using local ingredients to create homemade flavors.
- Sarah Frimpong, CEO & founder, Wellfound Foods, which manufactures and distributes modern grab-n-go food to quality foodservice buyers and retailers in the DMV.
- Sarah Gordon, co-founder, Gordy’s Pickle Jar, a pickle manufacturing company based in D.C.
- Jenna Hunstberger, founder, Whisked! D.C., an award winning online bakery that delivers desserts across the country.
- Doron Petersan, founder & president of Sticky Fingers Sweets and Eats, an award-winning vegan bakery.
- Anna Valero, founder, Hook Hall/Kraken Axes. Hook Hall is a traditional tavern and event space, while Kraken Axes are axe throwing bars.
- Sara Polon, founder, Soupergirl, a soup company cooking plant-based, healthy, delicious soups by hand.
- Julie Verratti, co-owner, Denizens Brewing Company, a brewery offering fresh craft beer made in Maryland.