The Wharf celebrated its 5th-anniversary — and transition from simple fish market to famed neighborhood hotspot — last week with the opening of Phase 2, alongside a fireworks spectacle and music on floating stages.
During the festivities, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser, and other local notables toasted the completion of The Wharf’s much-anticipated newest portion (Phase 2), which not only features luxury condos (with a $12 million penthouse!), but is ready to welcome restaurants helmed by celebrity chefs, The Atlantic‘s new headquarters, and additional shops, retail, and park space.
“Since we opened The Wharf five years ago, it has become a place for residents and visitors alike to come together, shop and dine out, and enjoy our city’s waterfront,” said Mayor Muriel Bowser. “Today, we’re celebrating even more jobs, housing, and opportunity for DC residents and businesses. And we’re celebrating Washington, DC as a world-class waterfront city.”
And there’s more to look forward to! In celebration of its 5 year milestone, The Wharf is kicking off nine months of community events and experiences featuring performances by DC artists and neighborhood favorites.
Fun fact! During the festivities, DC found out that it was actually Holmes-Norton that suggested the name for The Wharf, recalling what locals dubbed it long ago.
Here’s more fun facts — all of the new restaurants coming to the Wharf in Phase 2:
- &pizza (11 Market Square SW): Washington, DC-based fast-casual pizzeria serving personalized pizza with community and neighborhood-inspired decor and food collaborations. Opening summer 2023.
- bartaco at The Wharf (645 Wharf St.): Patrons can enjoy unique tacos, rice bowls, margaritas and more from the curated menu at its fourth location in the DMV. Opening early 2023.
- Bar Pendry (655 Water St. SW): Located in the Pendry hotel, Bar Pendry offers exquisite cocktails and light bites in a sleek setting. Opening November 2022.
- Blank Street Coffee (605 Wharf St. SW): A popular small-format coffee shop. Opening spring 2023.
- Easy Company Wine Bar (98 Blair Alley SW): Alfresco bar, inspired by cafe bars across Europe, serving house draft wines and popular frozen drinks. Opening November 2022.
- Flora Flora (655 Water St. SW, 2nd Floor): Flora Flora at Pendry is a Latin-influenced poolside restaurant combining the cuisines of Mexico, Peru, and Argentina. Opening November 2022.
- Gordon Ramsay Fish & Chips (665 Wharf St. SW): British-themed counter offering elevated fish & chips. Opening October 2022.
- Gordon Ramsay Hell’s Kitchen (652 Wharf St. SW): Michelin-starred chef Gordon Ramsay’s surf-and-turf restaurant, which pays tribute to his hit Hell’s Kitchen TV show on FOX, will bring a variety of steak and seafood offerings, including its famous Beef Wellington and lobster risotto, to the waterfront restaurant located in a two-story building directly on the water. Opening November 2022.
- Kilwins Chocolates & Ice Cream (663 Water St.): Offering the best chocolates, hand-made fudge, ice cream and other on-site crafted treats in a modern setting. Opening November 2022.
- Kinfolk Southern Kitchen (685 Wharf St. SW): An Americana bourbon and barbecue restaurant featuring spirits and smoky flavors created by Eaternity-The Social Restaurant Group. Opening fall 2023.
- Limani (670 Wharf St. SW): The first location out of New York for the Greek-Mediterranean restaurant offering a seafood-focused menu. Opening fall 2023.
- Little Chicken (11 Pearl Street SW): Tasty chicken in buckets, tenders, combos and amazing sandwiches combined with fresh pies, and cold beer—with a bit of fun and games in the backyard-style alley patio. Opening April 2023.
- Live K Karaoke Bar (730 Maine Ave SW): A brand new karaoke bar bursting onto DC’s karaoke scene with private rooms and a main stage where you can sing and dance to your favorite songs. Opening November 2022.
- Lucky Buns (675 Wharf St.): Acclaimed chef and Food Network personality Alex McCoy’s popular burger spot. Opening early 2023.
- Mason’s Famous Lobster Rolls (681 Water St.): Offering authentic Maine-style lobster rolls based on simple, honest recipes and traditional accompaniments from the coast of Maine. Opening early 2023.
- Milk & Honey Café (676 Maine Ave SW): New Orleans-style soul food restaurant featuring brunch and cocktails. Opening early 2023.
- Moonraker (655 Water St. SW, 14th Floor): Moonraker lounge at Pendry pairs a Japanese-leaning menu with a curated library of Japanese whisky and cocktails. Opening November 2022.
- Philippe by Philippe Chow (635 Wharf St.): An iconic New York City restaurant for almost two decades, Philippe Chow has become a staple with a world-renowned menu of Beijing-style dishes that has pioneered the way for elevated Chinese cuisine in the U.S. Opening May 2023.
- Slice of Match Box (664 Maine Ave SW): Wood-fired pizza eatery taking the very best of regional brand Matchbox in a fast-casual setting with table service and a full bar. Opening spring 2023.
- Starbucks (625 7th St SW): Iconic café serving hot and cold drinks as well as light bites. Now open.
- Wharf Morning DC (630 Wharf St. SW): Al fresco European breakfast all day—served with a waterfront breeze—featuring cherished Greek and Turkish vacation villages’ recipes. Opening late fall 2022.