It’s that time of year! Back to… The Shack! The only school we can reference here would be Old School, and Radio Shack, with its 23 local new interactive remodeled stores is insisting that it is — quite literally — “brand” new.
“These new [stores] are really about the gadgets you just won’t find everywhere else… things you didn’t even know you needed,” one Radio Shack representative shared with us. And that’s just what we found. Here are our ten fave finds in store now!
- The Shack’s game changer: Locally remodeled stores feature RadioShack’s new Fix It Here! service, which is a (usually) same day repair
service for mobile devices. Cracked phone screens, locked screens, water damage, missing buttons… you name it, diagnosed and repaired in-store in sometimes as little as an hour.
- An interactive speaker wall. Shop and compare different speakers using music installed on in-store tablets. You — and everyone else in store — will really hear the difference between all of the industry’s audible offerings.
Drones. Yes, drones. One of the most popular items in the store according to one customer service representative we spoke with, these radio controlled machines make for some flying fun, or take incredible aerial images and video! $299
- RadioShack brings 3D printing to the masses — well, those who can afford its $1399 price tag! (We hear a new brand coming to RS stores soon may retail for closer to $600.) Don’t understand how 3D printing works? Walk into a Radio Shack store to see a live demonstration… and you might just walk out with a machine to start your own little plastic production empire.
- Talk about snapping into a new perspective! RS proves that smartphones are changing the game in
photography by being the first retailer to carry the Kodak PixPro Smart Lens camera. Snap the camera lens onto any smartphone and use the app to take true camera quality photos and movies using the phone as an LCD screen. ($289 (10x), $299 (25x))
- Create a smart home — but not Big Brother monitoring — for older adults to log daily routines (like taking medication, food and drink, and exercise!) with Lively’s activity sensors
- Color your world — using your smartphone or tablet — with RS’s Luxxus App Controlled Smart Lighting. Brilliant LED bulbs change to any color you desire at any given moment. All you need is your smart device, a Wi-Fi connection and Luxxus. ($149.99)
Learning toys. Reinforcing those science lessons, or encouraging early interest in tech, is easy when fun toys are available to start a hobby or maximize the chance to make. Start with soldering, or educational magnetic circuit boards from littleBits…
- Get moving — and drive the cat crazy — with mobile device-controlled robot ball Sphero…
- And make sure the girls get involved with female friendly toys like Roominate, the DIY Wired Dollhouse Kit that inspires girls in engineering!
And now seven of our favorite finds in store… you’ll want them all!