A moment of silence for the closing of our favorite place to drink whiskey from a pint glass and order “kater-tots.” There is no more Mighty Pint.
But recently opened in the same spot, and by the same owner, is Second State, a farm-to-table concept that honors that owners’ home state’s history and table traditions.
Now an intimate neighborhood restaurant with a casual fine dining menu peppered with Pennsylvania-themed fare (Pennsylvania was the second state to ratify the Constitution (on December 12, 1787), thus Second State), Corporate Executive Chef Allan Javery created a menu of temptations for seasonal American small bites along with featured prime cuts of local game, farm-raised poultry, beef and fresh fish to accompany hearty, family-style sides.
Every ingredient is sourced from local farmers within a three-hour drive from DC. And yes, that includes a lot of farms in Pennsylvania.
With so many amazing things to try, we wanted to alert you to the:
- Short Ribs, root beer braised short ribs over parsnip and garlic confit puree;
- Scallops & Foie Gras, lightly smoked and seared Eat Coast scallops and foie gras over sweet corn puree;
- Frisee Salad, duck confit, warm bacon vinaigrette, apples crispy fingerling potatoes and a poached duck egg;
- Brown Ale Butter Chicken; Filet Mignon, 8-ounce grass fed beef served with a creamy bourbon and green peppercorn sauce;
- Roasted Pheasant, pan roasted withcider jus, pearl onions and apples,
- AND the Pennsylvania favorite Pierogies filled with classic potatoes and cheddar sautéed with onions, brown butter, and bacon.
(We’ll take seconds!)
And that same fresh, local, seasonal approach is just as appreciated at Corporate Beverage Program Director Boris Stojkovic’s bar, with homemade syrups and mixers, freshly squeezed juices for cocktails, and a large selection of spirits — like 30 white and dark rye whiskeys!
Wondering which sips to taste test first? Get on the:
- Old City Rickey, Bluecoat Pennsylvania gin, aged maple syrup, lime, and hard cider;
- Liberty Punch, XXX Shine LiberTea whiskey, fresh lemonade, ginger syrup and lavender bitters,
- and the Second Statement with Pennsylvania Rye whiskey, raw Pennsylvania honey, Absinthe, and aromatic bitters.
Check out Second State for lunch and dinner daily, or brunch served Saturdays and Sundays, from 10 AM to 5 PM. (Pro Tip: If you wear your Sunday best for Second State’s “Stately Affair” brunch, you can receive a complimentary glass of Veuve Clicquot or Dad’s Hat Rye.) And finally, don’t miss “Oyster Hour” nightly (5-6 PM)!!