Nelson’s Blood, Kill-Devil, Demon Water, Pirate’s Drink, Navy Neaters, Barbados Water… whatever you want to call the sweet stiff stuff made of sugar cane, otherwise known as rum. We’ll call it our Drink of the Day, because August 16th is National Rum Day!
And here are our Best Bets for Local Rum Day Drinks:
- Zengo currently offers four speciality cocktails ($10 – $12) containing rum, but the Plantar’s Punch(pictured) is definitely our favorite. Light rum, dark rum, simple syrup, lime and bitters make this beverage a front rummer.
- Cuba Libre boasts 100 rums from the familiar to the hardest to find and even makes their own in 5 15 and 21 year aged varieties. Be here from 4:30 – 6:30 on 8/16 for a Rum Day 50% discount on all of the above!
- Cafe Citron has your rum and a little rum-ba, too. (Actually, the Latin cafe in the heart of Dupont just misses Rum Day with its free salsa lesson on Wednesdays at 7:30, but go back for a post Rum Day merengue class Saturday at 8.)
- Speaking of rum-ba, Rumba Cafe has your fix both for drinks and dining. Try the spicy sauteed shrimp, flamed with dark rum while enjoying their three hour Happy Hour. And if you’re rummed out, take advantage of $5 mojitos (we won’t tell!)
- The classic sailor’s Dark & Stormy is the pride of the pour at the Argonaut — one of the best in DC, and a must have on the day rum gets its due.