Before it officially opens in the Navy Yard later this year (fingers crossed!), Chef Joancarlo Parkhurst’s all-day Puerto Rican eatery, La Famosa, will hold its final pop-up, in partnership with local distiller Cotton & Reed (1330 5th Street, NE).
On Saturday, August 1st, starting at 6pm, diners will get a taste of some of the items that may grace La Famosa’s menu, all inspired by Parkhurst’s memories of cooking and eating with his grandmother as a young boy. While the restaurant’s “fine-casual” concept will provide the look and feel of an upscale casual restaurant without the formality and full-service experience, the pop-up will be a simple outdoor table with takeaway temptations.
Here’s the menu:
- Bolitas de Queso: fried cheese balls served with guava sauce $7.50
- Assorted Pastelillos: fried turnovers (*a Puerto Rican version of an empanada):
- Beef Picadillo: $6.00
- Crab: $10.00 *made with local Blue crab
- Vegetarian Picadillo: $6.00 *made with Beyond Beef
- Bacalaito/Salt Cod Fritter served with crema verde $8.00
La Famosa will also serve vibrant cocktails — we’re especially looking forward to the rum-forward featured classics. At the pop-up, don’t miss out on the tropical-inspired Guava Smash cocktail made with Cotton & Reed Mellow Gold rum, fresh guava, mint-infused simple syrup, fresh mint leaves and a hint of allspice!