On September 23, 2019, Tzedek DC, a DC legal services organization will hold Eat Well, Do Justice: Celebrity Chef Knish Knockout!. The event raises funds for Tzedek DC (“Sedek DC”), a non-profit organization headquartered at the UDC David A. Clarke School of Law with the mission of safeguarding the rights of low-income DC residents facing often unjust debt collection lawsuits and other predatory consumer crises. www.tzedekdc.org
The event will be held at the University of the District of Columbia Student Center. Five acclaimed DC area chefs will create their own take on the knish, the traditional Jewish staple. Attendees will sample each creation and, along with a panel of judges, vote to determine the winner.
The five local Chefs who will be featured at the event are:
· Cathy Barrow, Cookbook author and Washington Post Food columnist
· Ian Boden, Chef, The Shack
· Todd Gray, Chef-owner Equinox
· Johanna Hellrigl, Partner, Fat Baby Restaurant Group, Executive Chef of Doi Moi
· Keshaun Winston, Instructor at Cookology and former personal chef for President Obama
Guest Judges who will determine the celebrity chef winner (along with event attendees) are:
· Renée McDonald Hutchins, Dean, UDC David A. Clarke School of Law
· Dahlia Lithwick, Legal writer, Slate
· The Hon. Jamie Raskin, U.S. House of Representatives
· Ed Scarpone, 2018 Eat Well Do Justice! winner and Schlow Restaurant Executive
Bonnie Benwick, Former Deputy Food Editor for The Washington Post, will serve as the Honorary Chair of the event. Co-chairs for the event are Courtney Weiner, June Kress, Laura Kumin, and Nina Simon.
“Tzedek DC’s focus is fundamentally on a civil rights issue, serving the communities where predatory abuses in lending and lawsuits have been most prevalent,” says Ariel Levinson-Waldman, Founding President and Director-Counsel for Tzedek DC. “This event is an entertaining way to raise funds for this important work, in which we are inspired by the ancient command from the Book of Deuteronomy: “Tzedek, Tzedek tirdof,” or “justice, justice you shall pursue.”